Wednesday, 14 December 2011

What's this? What's this?


Some time around mid- to late-November, I felt what might once have been described as my ‘festive spirit’ curl up into a ball, splutter, and begin to bed-down for its annual hibernation. But there was a time - there was a time - when I could believe that Christmas made the world a better rather than a worse place (most toy-makers don’t live in Lapland, they live in poverty - fact). A blissful time of innocence and ignorance, which every year I and try to recreate by taking a hit of my seasonal soma: Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas. This is joy. For 76mins I am able to block out the harsh realities of the holidays, and feel like Jack when he stumbles upon Christmas Town and ‘the monsters are all missing, and the nightmares can’t be found, and in their place there seems to be good feeling all around'. Even Scrooge got a break from his miserliness in the end…


No comments:

Post a Comment