Wednesday, 28 September 2011

The Big Lie...

“I tried to make sense of the madness, but it seems like I’m wasting my time. It’s best I just go get me mine, find some inner peace, climb to higher heights, embrace the lie...” - Rodney Smith.

One of my closest friends, at the age of 28, decided that he believed in god, and ran away to work at a live-in Christian drug-rehabilitation centre in Hong Kong - to do said deity's bidding. He told me that part of the rationale for his decision was that if God didn’t exist, then his dad, a vicar, had at best dedicated his life to a lie and
was at worst mad.

I told him that, while it was definitely a bit mad to believe in something that you not only can’t see but have no proof whatever for the existence of, the fact that it’s a widely held belief meant he probably wasn’t insane, as such. We base a lot of what we think of as ‘mad’ not on a lack of reason or logic, but on how far removed from the consensus it is.

And rather than feeling panicked by the impending global economic collapse, I feel a sense of serenity and sanity. Indeed, as the Big Lie starts to unravel, I sometimes feel a sense of excitement...

No comments:

Post a Comment